Skip to main content

Ducks are in a Row?

I think I might be ready? I have enjoyed almost all of the restaurant/convenience foods that I won't have this coming year.

I have collected some tools to make my life easier since I will be cooking 99% of all my own food (exceptions are food I have already bought, mom's home cooking, and the few occasions I go out to eat with friends).
- food processor
- coffee pot from a no buy site
- microwave (haven't had one for 18 yearsish?)
- sodastream bubbly water to replace soda

I have to say I have felt super impulsive with buying things lately. I probably could have spent 100s of dollars in "preperation" but have put the brakes on that. I keep telling my self it will all be fine. It is not like I will starve. I just have to cook... I mean I cook for others professionally, now I have to do it for me.

I will be adding penzeys and frontier herb to my buying list. However, I am hoping to not have to buy anything from any websites until Aprilish.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rules

Truth be told I hate rules! But I do need some metrics to judge if I am successful. 1. No grocery stores used to purchase food or beverage. Not going in them will help with temptation. 2. Use the list of these farmers/suppliers/places to shop:     -farmers markets     -husteds     -Moonique     -Crisp Country Acres     -Silverbeet Farm     -Long Valley Farm     -29th Street Market     -Jack and Jills     -clnf.com     -native harvest     -ferris farms     -foraging     -dumpster diving     -Menards for canning supplies. Yes I use        cheater seasoning packets🙄🙄🙄 3. Restaurants... I am not a social person        but when I do go out it is for meals or        drinks. I will continue going out with friends and family on their request. I can not go out to eat on my own. And I cannot beg people to go out to eat with me 🤣🤣🤣 4. I will keep track of all spending. Mainly to see if this is doable for all people or if there are aspects of the year that are doable. 5.

Week 5

Man this year is going quickly! Before you know it, it will be time to plant some seeds and asparagus and rhubarb is just around the corner. Not a whole lot to report on. Lots of cooking, lots of washing dishes, and  surprisingly lots of fails. Waste: In the last two weeks I have wasted the apple scrap vinegar because of mold, a jar of beef stew from the freezer because it smelled and tasted off, a small handful of lettuce leaves, about 2 cups of roasted vegetables that I forgot about, a couple slices of bread in the freezer that were freezer burnt, and about a half a head of cabbage that went bad. I will say this is still less then what I have wasted before, but still a little disappointing.  Spending: I have spent $60.31 this month so far. This includes my milk share for the month, 2 liters of olive oil, 2 pounds of honey, and 1/3 of a pound of cheddar cheese. This is a little expensive and maybe not so affordable. Hard cheeses in general are super pricey and so is the ol

Week 1 Financials

Ugggh I totally forgot to include the financials in my last post. Because I want to see if this is affordable for everyone. So I bought a year of CSA's from Crisp Country Acres.... I do understand that probably wouldn't be feasible for everyone. The cost: $869.50 for 47 weeks or $18.50 a week So each week I will be spending $21.50 a week on fruits/vegetables/eggs from Crisp Country. I also get a milk share every week. I pay paid this month and part of next month in advance, but the monthly share is $16.5 for a half gallon. I am not sure a half gallon will be enough. I use the milk for coffee and yogurt currently and I can tell this week I will run short. I may end up getting a gallon a week. If that happens I will make butter and buttermilk, yogurt, cheese, and have milk for drinking. The amount of work is what would hold me back. Long story short every week between the csa and milk share I spend $25.63