Skip to main content

Less Food Waste

This year I will also be focusing on reducing food waste. Here are the big 3 areas I am focusing on:

1. No quick convenience food. This one is really just built into my year. I can't just run out and get take out or to the grocery store. That means groceries won't sit in my refrigerator and rot

2. Repurposing food! I had mashed potatoes that were going to go bad so I made potato fritters in my air fryer. New snack and no food waste. Plus only 1 WW point per piece.


3. Freeze, dehydrate, or gift food that I won't get to in time.

Bonus- Don't buy more then what is needed.
This one is hard for me. However my freezer is full and my shelves are stocked.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why?

Why no grocery store in 2020? 1. Have you seen all the food recalls lately? 2. I like supporting local economy. 3. I would rather do a year long challenge then make a New Year's resolution. Last year's challenge was a year of health. I went from being mostly sedentary and eating like crap, to losing 60 pounds and working out on average 5 times a week. 4. Can I do this living in a smallish town, in a trailer park without it costing a fortune? In full disclosure last year I ate fairly locally and seasonally. Using the grocery store for convenience foods because sometimes I just don't feel like cooking. I have a lot of connections that will make this a wee bit easier, such as CSA, milk, meat, grain etc

Week 2 in the Books

So I am still sick. Man this stuff is going around pretty bad. It has made it a little bit more challenging. Mainly because even though I had food prepared all I wanted was junk food. So what did I do? I ate all the convenience food and the prepared food got frozen. I couldn't imagine what it be like to have kids and take care of them too. Hats off to all the moms out there. Waste this week: I had to throw away some celery root and jam I had in the fridge. That was 11 oz of food. I also had to through away 5 sweet potato latkes. They tasted bad. So I don't think sweet potatoe latkes are the way to go. Spending: Nothing extra spent Weight: since I ate like it was my job and I was a total rockstar at it.... I am not weighing in this week. Sometimes ya just gotta be nice to yourself

Things I Will Miss

Oh man there will be a lot of things I will miss, but here is my top 5: 1. Sushi!!!! Yes, sometimes I get grocery store sushi, stop judging me 🤣🤣🤣 but in all seriousness no one I know likes sushi so no chance on going to a restaurant... It will be a long year! 2. Diet soda- It is probably good to break up with diet soda, but oh how I love it. 3. Asian food in general- unless I stock up on some staples it will be a year without. Although my friends do like it so maybe a chance for a restaurant outing, 4. All convenience food. It is really nice just being able to go to the store and buy something. I guess now it is prepare or starve 🤣🤣🤣 5. Snacks- Cheetos, pretzels etc. At least I have popcorn. Can't believe no grocery stores is less then a month away.