Skip to main content

One Month In

I can't believe it is already February! Today is a beautiful sunny day here and a most welcomed change from all the grey skies and gloom from last month. I have also made it through a full month of the challenge.

I feel like I have learned a lot this month about myself and my eating habits.

Impulse control and planning
   I have to have a loose meal plan at all times. I can't just run and get something. What has saved me this month is all the convience food I have had in the house prior to January. That and the fact that I froze, canned, and dehydrated quite a bit of food this past summer. So I have never felt like there is nothing to eat.

I feel like I have saved a bit of money from not being in a grocery store and not allowing myself fast food. I think everyone knows the grocery store trap when you go in for one thing and walk out spending $80. Also, I bet I am saving $30 a week by not allowing myself fast food or supermarket sushi (stop judging me 🤣🤣🤣) I have gone out with friends twice this month for lunch, but this is to maintain social interaction. While the company was fantastic both times the food was a bummer. I really felt I could make a better meal both ktimes.

Food Waste
   Hey guess what? When you actually have to eat the food you make you don't have as much food waste 🙄. It is a no brainer. I can actually see what is in my refrigerator and have a loose plan everyday for meals. I have included a food waste page on here to tally my waste.

Spending
   So technically I have not spend one dime this month on food. Does this paint a realistic picture? Probably not. I paid for my csa, egg share, and milk share in December. So if you break it down for these items it would average at $28.25 a week. I would love to lower that amount, but the csa at least is paid through the year. I may not keep my weekly egg delivery, but just order them on the weeks that I need them. Milk is just what it is. I like eating yogurt for breakfast most days. I am not a huge fruit fan and it guarantees that I have at least one serving of fruit. l also have milk for my coffee and butter so there is that.

Weight
  I have struggled this month and gained 6 pounds. I don't think it is necessarily challenge related, but the challenge doesn't help. I have not been diligent with planning healtht meals. Snacks and convenient food has been more caloric then what I may have chosen in the past. I have really had a limited amount of spoons in any given day.

Take today for example: Plan for the day was to do dishes, laundry, make butter, kale chips, swiss chard pasta, sauerkraut, clean, take the dog for a long walk, and read. I was able to do some dishes, some laundry, make butter and kale chips. That is it. I have nothing left in me. So I am also a lot less active then what I was.

The best part of this is that I am learning to become more minimal with my food. I am planning meals that don't take a lot of effort to make. Salad with an omelette yes! Roast a half chicken on a bunch of carrots and onions... Yum! Yogurt for breakfast ✔. Kale chips and popcorn for snacks. Water and coffee for beverages. Now if I could only find a healthy sweet snack I would be on my way!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rules

Truth be told I hate rules! But I do need some metrics to judge if I am successful. 1. No grocery stores used to purchase food or beverage. Not going in them will help with temptation. 2. Use the list of these farmers/suppliers/places to shop:     -farmers markets     -husteds     -Moonique     -Crisp Country Acres     -Silverbeet Farm     -Long Valley Farm     -29th Street Market     -Jack and Jills     -clnf.com     -native harvest     -ferris farms     -foraging     -dumpster diving     -Menards for canning supplies. Yes I use        cheater seasoning packets🙄🙄🙄 3. Restaurants... I am not a social person        but when I do go out it is for meals or        drinks. I will continue going out with friends and family on their request. I can not go out to eat on my own. And I cannot beg people to go out to eat with me 🤣🤣🤣 4. I will keep track of all spending. Mainly to see if this is doable for all people or if there are aspects of the year that are doable. 5.

Week 5

Man this year is going quickly! Before you know it, it will be time to plant some seeds and asparagus and rhubarb is just around the corner. Not a whole lot to report on. Lots of cooking, lots of washing dishes, and  surprisingly lots of fails. Waste: In the last two weeks I have wasted the apple scrap vinegar because of mold, a jar of beef stew from the freezer because it smelled and tasted off, a small handful of lettuce leaves, about 2 cups of roasted vegetables that I forgot about, a couple slices of bread in the freezer that were freezer burnt, and about a half a head of cabbage that went bad. I will say this is still less then what I have wasted before, but still a little disappointing.  Spending: I have spent $60.31 this month so far. This includes my milk share for the month, 2 liters of olive oil, 2 pounds of honey, and 1/3 of a pound of cheddar cheese. This is a little expensive and maybe not so affordable. Hard cheeses in general are super pricey and so is the ol

Week 1 Financials

Ugggh I totally forgot to include the financials in my last post. Because I want to see if this is affordable for everyone. So I bought a year of CSA's from Crisp Country Acres.... I do understand that probably wouldn't be feasible for everyone. The cost: $869.50 for 47 weeks or $18.50 a week So each week I will be spending $21.50 a week on fruits/vegetables/eggs from Crisp Country. I also get a milk share every week. I pay paid this month and part of next month in advance, but the monthly share is $16.5 for a half gallon. I am not sure a half gallon will be enough. I use the milk for coffee and yogurt currently and I can tell this week I will run short. I may end up getting a gallon a week. If that happens I will make butter and buttermilk, yogurt, cheese, and have milk for drinking. The amount of work is what would hold me back. Long story short every week between the csa and milk share I spend $25.63